Thursday, December 18, 2008

Baking and taking a tumble....

So I can do many things, but baking is *not* my forte....but when my little boy, Talis-Rain, held up a box of "cake mix" while we were at the supermarket...I thought ...why not?

So we bought some paper cups and decided to make cupcakes...The boys were very eager...they even made chef hats out of newspaper...very imaginative...

We begin...we start with the eggs...each boy wants a turn to crack one....so Talis-Rain tries first, and misses the bowl, so the egg lands on the counter...Keanu-Storm tried next and although he tried to crack the egg on the side of the bowl...I think maybe he thinks it is just some sort of ritual or something, cos even though the egg had not cracked...he proceeded to crush the egg in his fingers...but at least got it in the bowl! LOL

Willow-River then decided cracking eggs was not all it is cracked up to be, so left me to do the honours (and to be honest I was running out of patience!)...

Then we added the rest of the ingredients, and all four got a turn to whisk....and then put into the paper cups...it went well, then by the time the cupcakes were done, I noticed they were slightly *dark* on the tops...and realised my error...I had the oven on grill instead of bake! Talis-Rain being ever so diplomatic says "Don't worry mom...I like them burnt"....(he really does take after me since I always loved the slightly burnt on the bottom biscuits or rusks my mom used to bake).

Now it is time to ice the cupcakes....so I take out my new packet of icing sugar, and take about half a teaspoon full as a little taster...only to realise...my icing sugar is flour!!!! The packet is all in Chinese...except for the "Taiwan Sugar Company" at the bottom...who would have thought a sugar company would also make flour!!! The joys of living in a country where sometimes you don't have a clue as to what you are buying.... So we had to go an borrow a cup of sugar from our neighbour....but the cupcakes turned out great and the kids (and daddy) loved them! Willow-River actually ate one too...his first time to eat cake....can you believe that????

It was actually only the second time (I am almost, but not that ashamed, to say)...that I have baked! I have made crumpets, banana fritters and pancakes...but the first and last time I baked cupcakes was when I made them for Willow-River when he went to playschool for a few months and for his 3rd birthday had to take a cake to school...needless to say it was also an instant box cake, and I burnt those too! LOL

But since my kids enjoyed them so much, I think I will attempt to do it a bit more often!

Now to the tumbling....yesterday morning (Wednesday), I was walking down the stairs with my laundry, to be folded, when my foot slipped out from under me and I ended up in a heap at the bottom of my stairs! I at first thought I had broken my leg since I basically came down the stairs in the jazz splits...but then realised it was my shoulder that was actually injured the most! After straigtening my legs and making sure nothing was broken, I sat up straighter and tried to put my shoulder straight and heard a wierd sound like my shoulder was going back into place or something...all I know is it was soooo painful...I could hardly move it at all....the boys were all at the park, Asia-Faith was having a nap, and I was in a pile at the bottom of the stairs with the laundry all around me!!! The sole of my foot has a huge blue bruise on it now too.... I battled to sleep last night, and Jason called me earlier to tell me to take it easy today, leave the chores, and just relax my arm....so that is exactly what I am going to do...fortunately I don't need to move my arm to type...just my fingers! LOL

First Kitty, then Asia-Faith, and now me....well, they say it comes in three's.....so I guess we are done!

~* Peace and Love *~


No comments: